We welcome honorably discharged veterans, men and women, to join the Saratoga National Cemetery Honor Guard Association and Color Guard. Veterans may participate in any aspect of the funeral services. Rendering military honors consists of three main functions – the Flag Detail, Bugler and the Rifle Detail. The Honor Guard also joins directly with all five active duty branches sharing in the ceremonial procedures.
The Flag Detail performs:
- Reception of the deceased veteran at curbside;
- Escort to the shelter;
- Welcoming family and friends to let them know what will now take place:
- Three rifle volleys
- Playing of taps
- Folding and presentation of the American flag
- Presentation of three spent rifle casings
- The Final salute
- Playing of taps
- Retrieving spent rifle casings
The Rifle Detail
- Marches to formation near the shelter
- On command, performs the volleys
- Returns to presentation formation while the Flag Detail completes the services
- Upon completion of the services marches in formation to the staging to complete the service
If you are interested in joining the Honor Guard, you can download the application HERE fill it out and mail to the address below. An HGA representative will then contact you within 3 business days. You will then be invited to observe the ceremonies to fully understand all the procedures and to determine your interest and ability to participate. You will need to provide a copy of your DD214 and a signed Possession of Firearms Notice. You may provided that during the interview process.
If you would like to talk to someone before applying for membership, please fill out the contact form below and an Honor Guard member will contact you within 3 business days.
Thank you for your interest.